3 Rules for leveraging your contacts
Stay in touch
Be strategic about maintaining contact with old colleagues, past bosses, interviewees (even if you didn’t get the job), and well-connected contacts.
● Drop them a line every now and then to say hi.
● Send them an article that may interest them.
● Introduce them to someone you know who works in the industry.
Social media is an invaluable resource when it comes to leveraging contacts. Whether you favour LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook or Instagram for networking, the key is to stay active and visible.
● Follow organisations you’re interested in.
● Like, share and comment on industry-related articles.
● Ask for LinkedIn recommendations and endorsements from people you’ve worked with.
● Recommend and endorse others on LinkedIn; they’re more likely to return the favour.
Avoid airing grievances about jobs and be cautious about negative comments generally. People want to hire positive people. Let this guide the way you interact with your contacts both online and offline.